Reduce Your Risk of Stroke
The Basics: Overview
You can help reduce your risk of stroke by making healthy lifestyle changes.
These are the most important steps you can take to lower your risk of stroke:
- Keep your blood pressure in the normal range.
- If you smoke, quit.
- Keep your blood sugar (glucose) in the normal range.
- If you have heart disease, treat it.
- Keep your cholesterol (“koh-LEHS-tuh-rahl”) levels in the normal range.
- Stay active and maintain a healthy weight.
- Eat healthy.
Making these healthy changes can also help lower your risk of heart disease and diabetes.