Take Steps to Prevent Skin Cancer
The Basics: Overview
The best way to prevent skin cancer is to protect your skin from the sun and other sources of ultraviolet (UV) rays.
To protect your skin:
- Stay in the shade as much as possible between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Use sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher.
- Cover up with long sleeves, long pants or a skirt, a hat, and sunglasses.
- Avoid indoor tanning.
Why do I need to protect my skin?
Protecting your skin today may help prevent skin cancer later in life. Most skin cancer appears after age 50, but skin damage from the- sun can start during childhood.
Taking steps to prevent skin cancer may also help prevent:
- Blotches or spots on your skin
- Other damage to your skin and eyes